Can I claim my younger sister on my tax return?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

My mother doesn't work and I supply the income for my little sister. Am I allowed to claim her on my taxes to increase my refund amount? Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christopher Ryan Lee

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can but she has to live with you, you have to pay for the majority of her support and she has to be 18 or younger or under 24 and in school.

  2. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As Attorney Lee states, she must live with you more than 50% of the year. You cannot claim her simply because you give your mother money.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney Bellevue WA
    Tax Attorney Everett WA
    Tax Attorney Federal Way WA
    Tax Attorney Redmond WA
    Seattle IRS Contact
    Washington B&O Tax Attorney
    Notice of Deficiency
    Innocent Spouse Relief
    Business Tax Attorney
    IRS Tax Penalty Relief Attorney
    IRS Tax Problems

  3. Howard Aaron Lazarus

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorneys Lee and Larson have given you the answer you are searching for.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. John P Fazzio III


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . As per the other answers, she would have to meet the dependency test.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,313 answers this week

2,856 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,313 answers this week

2,856 attorneys answering