Can I claim my son on my taxes even though he doesn't live with me?

Asked over 3 years ago - San Diego, CA

I have joint legal custody of my 7 year old son.I have him every other weekend from Friday after school until Sunday night and holidays.I pay child support every month.He lives with his mom,mom's boyfriend,and grandparents in Riverside.I live in San Diego.His mom doesn't work.Can I claim my son on my taxes this year or any year?

My son's mom doesn't work and has never worked, how does she get to file taxes and claim my son as a dependent?

1. Bryant Keith Martin

1

Best Answer

Answered . The rule is that the custodial parent gets to claim the dependency exemption unless there is a support Agmt that allows otherwise or the custodial parent transfers the right to claim the exemption by signing a written waiver on IRS Form 8322 which you would attach to your tax return. The waiver does not need to be permanent. No court order is necessary. You would be able to negotiate this by payment of additional support.
    FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Plz check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful or the “thumbs down” symbol if not.
    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California.
    (Bryant) Keith Martin
    sbbizlaw.com

2. Robert Jan Suhajda

Answered . Yes, the custodial parent wins.

NEW INTERNET TAX PREPARATION SERVICE
    ECONOMICAL, EFFICIENT.

Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    Attorney-At-Law
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701
    562-924-8922

Tax Relief Lawyer. Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns, Homeowner Association Strategist.

As a strategist, I analyze and integrate the operations, reserve study, budget, and financial statements into a unitary plan for 1 – 5 years, utilizing my experience as
    a former treasurer and vice president of a homeowners' association and corporate
    controller and auditor, to minimize homeowner association dues.

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . You cannot claim your son unless she signs a Form 8332. Please see my legal guide entitled DIVORCED OR SEPARATED PARENTS-DETERMINATION OF DEPENDENCY EXEMPTION here at avvo at the following link for more details about the tax rules in this area: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/divorced-o....

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net ,
    website is www.sjfpc.com.
    blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/