Skip to main content

Can I claim my sister on my taxes?

Boston, MA |

She's 22 and she lives in my apartment with complete support from me. How would I prove she lives with me and that she's my sister with a different last name?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. These are best answered by your tax retrurn preparer. You will need to have a conversation with your sister as well to make sure both are on the same page.

    Eric P. Rothenberg, P.C.
    160 Gould Street-Suite 320
    Needham, MA 02494-2300
    Tel: 781-239-8900
    Fax: 781-658-2203

    Follow my Tweets at

    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS in Circular 230, we inform you that, unless we expressly state otherwise in this communication (including any attachments), any tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or other matter addressed herein.

  2. You may qualify for the support test. You should talk to a CPA further to determine.

    Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

    Andrew B. Gordon, CPA, Esq.
    One First Bank Plaza, #207 | Lake Zurich, IL 60047
    Main: 847.580.1279 | Fax: 847.305.1297

    Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

  3. There are circumstances when this kind of living arrangement would qualify her as your dependent. However, there are questions that need to be answered before you can get a definitive answer. Talk to your tax preparer or CPA.

    I hope this helps.
    Steven A. Leahy

    Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.

  4. Is she a full-time college student? If so, she could be a qualifying child to you. If not, she would need to make less than roughly 4k per year, and you could claim her as a qualifying relative. This basically means you only get the exemption, and not Head of Household or the EIC.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer Everett
    Tax Lawyer Kent WA
    Tax Lawyer Kirkland WA
    Everett IRS Contact Info
    Seattle IRS Tax Problems Help
    Bankruptcy Lawyer
    Estate Planning Lawyer
    IRS Appeals Attorney
    IRS Installment Agreement
    Washington B&O Tax Audit
    Washington Sales Tax Audit
    IRS Audit Reconsideration Lawyer