Can I claim my parents living in India as my dependents ?

Asked over 6 years ago - Bellevue, WA

I was filling W-4 form and I got some mixed opinions regarding claiming my parents as dependents. I am working on L1 visa at Bellevue, WA and my parents are at India.

Please let me know if I can claim them as dependents or not.

Thanks in advance!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . For a taxpayer to claim someone as a dependent, the purported dependent must have a US social security number (or an individual tax identification number).

    Since you are in the US on a visa, that likely means that your parents do not have social security numbers and are not eligible for social security numbers.

    Moreover, for you to claim a person as a dependent, certain requirement must be met. One requirement is that the person is a US citizen or US resident alien for some part of the year. For more information, check out Publication 501 available for free at .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,482 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,482 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering