Can i claim my illegal immigrant girlfriend as my dependent on my taxes? Or can i claim my daughter that was born in Oct. 2012?

Van Nuys, CA |
Filed under: Tax law

Me and my girldfriend have been living together since Nov. 2011 till now. Taxes are due and i want to know if i can claim her as a dependent on my tax returns im an US citizen. What can i do?
Also she was pregnant and gave birth to my daughter.
can i claime her?she was born in the US.My daughter was born in Oct.2012.

You can't claim your girlfriend but you can claim your daughter.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

What if she has an ITIN number can i claim her then.

Evan A Nielsen

Evan A Nielsen

No, while you may be providing support, she doesn't qualify as a dependent becasue she's not related to you. If you were married, that would be different. But so long as she's your girlfriend, there are no provisions for claiming her as a dependent.

Ok thanks

You can claim your daughter. However, your girlfriendwould need to have a SSN.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced law ONLY in LOUISIANA and answers to questions from other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state.

What if i married her, Would she still need to provide a SSN? Or would we just have to show proof of marriage?

Brian Joseph Munson

Brian Joseph Munson

You would have to speak to an immigration attorney.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law