Can I claim my friend and her daughter as dependents on my taxes.

Asked over 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

My friend who went through a nasty divorce now lives with her 7 year old daughter at my house and does not pay any bills including rent. Can I claim my friend and her daughter as dependents on my taxes?

1. James Elliot Pratt

Answered . Regarding the child, , the IRS requires all of the following tests must be met to claim a dependency exemption under the rules for a qualifying child.

Dependent Taxpayer Test — Qualifying Child
    If you could be claimed as a dependent by another person, you cannot claim anyone else as a dependent. Even if you have a qualifying child or a qualifying relative, you cannot claim that person as a dependent.

Joint Return Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must be:

- Unmarried,
    - Married but does not file a joint return, or
    - Married and files a joint return only to claim a refund of withheld tax, neither the dependent nor spouse can claim personal exemption on their joint return

Citizen or Resident Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must be:

- A U.S. citizen or resident or
    - A resident of Canada or Mexico

Relationship Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must be:
    - Your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, adopted child, or a descendant (for example, your grandchild) of any of them, or
    - Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant (for example, your niece or nephew) of any of them.

Age Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must be:
    - Under age 19 at the end of the year
    - A full-time student under age 24 at the end of the year, or
    - Permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year, regardless of age.

Residency Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must:
    - Have lived with you for more than half of the year
    - Meet one of the exemptions listed below:
    - Temporary absences — illness, education, business, vacation, or military service
    - Death or birth of child — a child who was born or died during the year

Support Test — Qualifying Child
    To meet this test, the child must:
    - Not have provided more than half of his or her own support

There are special rules for a child that is the "qualifying child" of more than one person. Do research or get professional advice if you encounter this situation.

Please click “thumbs up” if you’ve found this helpful and/or informative.

DISCLAIMER & IRS Circular 230 DISCLOSURE:

The information in this answer is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this communication should be taken as legal advice for any case or situation. Nothing herein is intended as legal advice. You should not rely upon any information as a source of legal advice, and your receipt or viewing of any such information does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and James E. Pratt.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U. S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter herein.

2. Teri A. Walter

Answered . Not unless you're legally responsible for their support.

3. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . It doesn't sound like you can declare them. You can only declare people who fall under the IRS definition of a "Qualified Relative" or a "Qualified Child". A qualifying child bears a relation to the taxpayer, therefore this is not an option for you. Your only option would be to treat your friend and her daughter as a "qualified relative."
    With respect to a "qualified relative," the person does not have to be related to you (by blood or marriage) to qualify only if he/she resided with you for an ENTIRE year.
    It doesn't sound like these people lived with you the whole year, so you cannot claim them as dependents.