Skip to main content

Can I claim my daughter's boyfriend as a dependent on my taxes this year? How long does he have to live here to claim him?

Bedford Park, IL |
Filed under: Tax law

My daughter's boyfriend's parents kicked him out of the house in April of this year. We took him in because he had no where to stay and they have refused to help him out in any way financially. They promised to pay for school but when it came time, they ignored all his calls. He's going to school on a dependency override because we cannot afford to help him go to school. I just want to know if I will be able to claim him on our taxes this year or are there any benefits on our taxes for housing him and supporting him financially.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Why don't you try using this IRS interactive tool (click on link below). It will take you through a series of questions and help you determine if you can claim this person as a dependent. Hope this helps.

This response should not be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by this response, which reflects only the opinion of the author. The response should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question and could change if additional facts were made available.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer