Skip to main content

Can I claim my daughter on my taxes every year.

Green Bay, WI |

My daughters mom and I have never been married. I make more money than she does. Can I claim my daughter on my taxes every year? What do I need to do to insure not getting audited if we both end up trying to claim my daughter?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. No, you can't. You need an agreement between you and your ex. If you can't agree, you need a court order. Without one of those two things, the person with primary placement gets to claim the child.

    In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

  2. That also assumes you have been legally declared the father. Without that it will be much harder to claim her.

    WALWORTH, ROCK and JEFFERSON County Divorce/Family Law Attorney - Atty Richard Missimer does answer questions on Avvo strictly to be helpful but these do not constitute legal advice. These answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help and are within my practice area, contact me at (262)565-8200 for a FREE CONSULTATION.