Can I claim my child on my taxes? Divorced dad.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Clarksburg, WV

My ex wife is not filing a tax return because her income was $0. She is a dependent on her parents income. Would I be able to claim my son over her parents on my taxes? My wife was awarded primary custody of our child. We divorced during 2012.

1. 4

Answered . Go to www.irs.gov and check out Publication 501. Also, your ex-wife can allow you to claim the exemption by issuing you a form 8338. Good luck.

2. 3

Answered . The first thing you should do is check your divorce agreement. This is an issue that is typically covered in a divorce agreement. If you are not sure if it was you should ask your divorce attorney.

3. 1

Answered . Ms. Campbell and Mr. Davidoff have given you superb answers. You should call and hire one of them if you have questions.