Can I claim my 2011 Federal and State Tax return as exempt in AZ on a Chapter 7

Asked over 2 years ago - Parker, AZ

I filled out and filed my schedules myself and I was told I should of claimed my returns as exempt. I have already had my 341 hearing, Can I amend my schedule C if I can and will I have to amend other schedules as well?

1. Douglas Garth Edmunds

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . You did not do anything wrong. Sadly, there is not a clear exemption for your tax refunds in Arizona. You will nearly always loose at least a portion of it, depending upon when you filed your bankruptcy case and whether or not you had received and spent your refunds.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

7

1

Answered . You can only exempt the refund if your state exemption program provides this. I am posting a link to a description of the exemptions available in all 50 state for you to review.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Michael J Corbin

6

Answered . Unfortunately, AZ does not allow the use of the federal bankruptcy exemptions. Therefore, you will not be able to keep your refunds unless you can find a AZ state exemption that allows you to keep them.

4. Clint Spencer Dunaway

Pro

3

Answered . I would like to just add that if the tax return is less than a $1000, most trustees will let you keep it. Anything less than that just isn't worth their time going after. In fact I recently had a client who was to receive an almost $1300 tax refund that the trustee let them keep.

So if your refund is less than $1000, you should be able to keep it.