Can I claim it through my Flexible Spending Account and get the reimbursement? What are IRS and Tax law rule on it?

I want to use my friend's parking permit which is on his name but he never uses it for train station parking and I will pay the money for it. I am not sure how tax will work on it.

Chicago, IL -

John Randolph Yoak

John Randolph Yoak

Tax Lawyer - Clearwater, FL

You can generally be reimbursed for "qualified" expenses related to medical treatment, certain over-the-counter items, and certain dependent care expenses. Parking permit expenses -- particularly those paid to someone other than the issuing authority -- probably will not qualify; however, your best course of action is to ask your Flexible Spending Account administrator to provide a complete list of eligible expenses for which you may be reimbursed.

Todd Matthew Heine

Todd Matthew Heine

Tax Lawyer - Seattle, WA

I agree with John: talk to the relevant administrator.

Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

We cannot answer this over the internet. You need to talk to the plan administrator.