Can I claim it through my Flexible Spending Account and get the reimbursement? What are IRS and Tax law rule on it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I want to use my friend's parking permit which is on his name but he never uses it for train station parking and I will pay the money for it. I am not sure how tax will work on it.

Additional information

I will be paying directly to the permit issuing authority and not to my friend. My credit card will be charged.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Randolph Yoak

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can generally be reimbursed for "qualified" expenses related to medical treatment, certain over-the-counter items, and certain dependent care expenses. Parking permit expenses -- particularly those paid to someone other than the issuing authority -- probably will not qualify; however, your best course of action is to ask your Flexible Spending Account administrator to provide a complete list of eligible expenses for which you may be reimbursed.

    Yoak Law, P.A. is a business and tax law firm serving clients throughout the State of Florida. If you need help... more
  2. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with John: talk to the relevant administrator.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more
  3. Bruce Givner


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . We cannot answer this over the internet. You need to talk to the plan administrator.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,956 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,956 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering