Can I claim it through my Flexible Spending Account and get the reimbursement? What are IRS and Tax law rule on it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I want to use my friend's parking permit which is on his name but he never uses it for train station parking and I will pay the money for it. I am not sure how tax will work on it.

I will be paying directly to the permit issuing authority and not to my friend. My credit card will be charged.

1. John Randolph Yoak

3

Answered . You can generally be reimbursed for "qualified" expenses related to medical treatment, certain over-the-counter items, and certain dependent care expenses. Parking permit expenses -- particularly those paid to someone other than the issuing authority -- probably will not qualify; however, your best course of action is to ask your Flexible Spending Account administrator to provide a complete list of eligible expenses for which you may be reimbursed.

2. Todd Matthew Heine

2

Answered . I agree with John: talk to the relevant administrator.

3. Bruce Givner

Pro

1

Answered . We cannot answer this over the internet. You need to talk to the plan administrator.