Can I claim it through my Flexible Spending Account and get the reimbursement? What are IRS and Tax law rule on it?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Tax law

I want to use my friend's parking permit which is on his name but he never uses it for train station parking and I will pay the money for it. I am not sure how tax will work on it.

I will be paying directly to the permit issuing authority and not to my friend. My credit card will be charged.

1. You can generally be reimbursed for "qualified" expenses related to medical treatment, certain over-the-counter items, and certain dependent care expenses. Parking permit expenses -- particularly those paid to someone other than the issuing authority -- probably will not qualify; however, your best course of action is to ask your Flexible Spending Account administrator to provide a complete list of eligible expenses for which you may be reimbursed.

Yoak Law, P.A. is a business and tax law firm serving clients throughout the State of Florida. If you need help with a legal issue, call (727) 451-9455 to schedule a free consultation. Mr. Yoak is licensed to practice law in Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. You are strongly advised to confer directly with an attorney to insure the proper advice is received and the appropriate action is timely taken.

2. I agree with John: talk to the relevant administrator.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through www.totalmobilitylaw.com.

3. We cannot answer this over the internet. You need to talk to the plan administrator.