Can I claim head of household exemption if I'm separated (not divorced) with two children but my ex makes more money than me.

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I'm being sued for co-signing a private student loan for my ex-brother-inlaw. The loans are not federally backed. I'm a teacher who makes less than $750 a week and I have two children. I'm separated from my husband. I make $45k but he makes 90k a year. Would I still qualify. The kids live with me.

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

6

Answered . This question would get better responses if posted in the appropriate forum. Like "debt collection", or "asset protection" perhaps......Good luck.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Thomas J. Wagner

3

Answered . Its a little complicated. First, you have to have paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for you and at least one qualifying individual. Presumably your husband pays support for your children and possibly for you. Your children are considered unmarried for purposes of Head of household if you file a separate return, paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year, your child or children live with you for more than 1/2 of the tax year, and your spouse doers not live in the same household for the last six months of the tax year. I hope this helps