Can I claim an inmate as a dependent on my taxes?

Antioch, CA |
Filed under: Tax return Tax law

I have been helping to pay for his care packages.

There are a number of requirements to claim someone as a dependent. One of the requirements for a person over the age of 19 who is not a student, is that you pay over one-half of the person's support. Considering the cost to incarcerate someone, it is very unlikely that by helping to pay for his care packages, you pay over half the cost of his support. Even if you did, you would still have to meet the other requirements.

I am licensed to practice law only in the state of California. The answer provided above is for general information only, is not intended and should not be taken as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship with the party making the inquiry. The best way to contact me is by email at

Not under the circumstances you describe here.

This answer is based on general legal principles only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Any reader of this answer should not make decisions based upon in without first directly consulting with an attorney

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law