Skip to main content

Can I civilly sue a man who raped me when I was 13 now that I am 50?d

Akron, OH |

I was babysitting for a man when I was taken to a home that he was working on I thought he was taking me home instead he took me and raped me. I remember everything about what happened where they went that night the smell of the liquor on his breath, I knew him because he married my old neighbor I had gone to their wedding and I had gone to their reception at the knights of columbus. Please Help Me. I see him at church and wonder if he is still doing this to other little girls.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. When you say "sue," I am uncertain regarding whether you want to sue him or get the authorities involved in charging him with a crime. There will be issues regarding the time that has elapsed. If you want him charged, go to the police. If you wish to sue him (financial recover) then you sit with an attorney.

    This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

  2. I agree that you should first report this crime to the authorities. You also can sit down with a lawyer to see what options you have for any damages you sustained. I am so sorry this happened to you.

  3. See a local lawyer. There is no confidentiality online. Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The likelihood of a positive outcome litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics