Can I check to see if my identity has been stolen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I believe I have had my identity stolen online, I’ve noticed some suspicious activity in my email inbox and facebook. Is there any way to check before I notice huge credit card payments?

1. Gordon R. Leech

2

Answered . If you suspect that you are a victim of identity theft, you can request a free copy of your consumer reports from each of the national consumer reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion). If you advise the agencies that you suspect you are a victim of ID Theft, they should provide you a copy of the report without charge. You can then review each report for any account that you do not recognize and report those accounts to each agency and you should file a Fraud Affidavit. I have included links below to AnnualCreditReport.com, a website setup at the order of the Federal Trade Commission to help you order your reports, and the FTC site on dealing with ID Theft. The FTC site has some great publications that you should follow and the ID Theft Affidavit that you can download, complete and submit to your police department if you find fraud was committed using your identity. Note, that if you inform the agencies that you suspect ID Theft, they may be requried to place a fraud alert on your reports which may make it more difficult for you to open new credit accounts while this is in place. You should ask about this if you contact them.