Can I check the tax dependent box on my partner's health insurance paperwork?

San Francisco, CA |

My partner's employer will provide health insurance benefits to me if my partner declares me a non-regsitered domestic partner. I've been disabled and unable to work since Feb '13. We have lived together off an on with interruptions due to education in another city. Partner's new job starts at the beginning of the fiscal year July 1. I've been completely dependent on her financially save for two paychecks in Jan and Feb '13 when I was hurt on the job.

1. I don't believe you are allowed to alter someone else tax documents without authorization. Id' check with a lawyer or tax accountant before proceeding

Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information. The comments of the attorney are an opinion. You may not rely on this opinion, and if you do so you are at your own risk. Another attorney may disagree with this opinion. You must retain and consult with a licensed attorney so that you have a right to rely on the advice he or she gives you.

2. Please clarify whether you are asking if you meet the definition of a dependent or whether you want to change her paperwork.

Our reply to your question has not created an attorney-client relationship. It should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an Attorney who can give you legal advice after acquainting themselves with the specifics of your case.

3. I think you need to become a registered domestic partner.