Skip to main content

Can I charge late fees for unpaid wages?

Fort Collins, CO |

I was most likely a Private Contractor for a guy who didn't pay what we agreed on. Can I send him notice to include late fees to compel payment? If so, what would be a fair rate for "the Slumlord"?

Attorney Answers 3


You can not add fees that were not part of your original contract. You are owed any wages that you were not paid. I am only licensed in Massachusetts but in Massachusetts there are statutory penalties if wages are unpaid.

If you are owed unpaid wages you should contact a local employment attorney who can do a detailed intake during a consultation. They will then be able to get all the facts surrounding the situation and help you determine how you should move forward from this point.

You can search for a Lawyer using the AVVO "Find a Lawyer" tab up above or contact your local bar associations.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree



Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




Is there anything I can do to compel payment?



Besides take him to court?


Unless you had a contract that provided for fees and interest, the answer is that no you cannot just come up with some figure. If you don't have a contract, please speak with a local attorney to draft one that includes these terms in addition to venue and other clauses to protect your rights and business.

Now, if they refuse to pay you may consider filing a lawsuit. If this is $7,500 or less than small claims would be the best route. See the information here Good luck on this and speak with an attorney to avoid these kinds of problems in the future

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics