Skip to main content

Can I change the venue of a Family Law case to another county or another state? Change of venue

Cobb, CA |

Who is regulating courts? Who is regulating civil and UD courts?
Thank you very much!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Yes. You can request a change of Venue from the Court where your orders were issued if neither Party is currently living in that Jurisduction.

  2. You need to provide more information in order to get an informed response. Is this a child custody matter? Spousal support matter? Child support matter? I'm confused by regulating court but in an attempt to answer what I think you mean. The court where the current orders were issued is the court you need to deal with.

    Give more information.

    Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

  3. There are several basis for changing the venue of a particular case. If it involves children and the county where the case is filed is not the same county where the children have lived for at least six months, it could be changed to the county where the children live for the convenience of the parties and witnesses if there is a custody dispute. The parties can also agree to transfer a case from one county to another. If the case was filed in the wrong county to begin with, it may be transferred on the court's own order.

    As to who regulates the courts...check with the California Judicial Council....they handle management of the courts. If the issue is related to the actions of a particular judge, then it would be the Commission on Judicial Performance

    The information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Said information does not constitute the formation of any attorney/client relationship. The information is provided without consideration. An Attorney / client relationship can only be formed upon the execution of a formal retainer agreement and payment of retainer fee between a consumer and my office. We are a federally designated debt relief agency.

  4. Possibly. If you provide the Court with a valid factual and legal basis for the requested change of venue, or if all the parties agree to the requested change in writing.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics