Can I change the locks on my tenants door and have thme call the police to get their things out?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bronx, NY

I have asked these tenants to leavse since November and they are still there. I went back several times to them and they still there. I dont know how to get them out. Other than the eviction proceedings, can I change the locks and have them call the police to get their stuff out?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gerry M. Wendrovsky


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If you change the locks, you may likely find yourself on the receiving end of a 'wrongful eviction' suit. Please to consult with and retain a qualified attorney to evict the tenants.

  2. Olga Someras


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Based on the facts in your question as presented, it seems like the only option would be for the landlord to commence an eviction proceeding, especially if these are residential tenants. Aside from opening oneself to liability for a wrongful eviction, the landlord could also be held liable if there is any damage to the tenants' property (during the time they've been locked out).
    You should retain an attorney and commence a housing court proceeding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,759 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,759 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering