Can I change the job after I get EAD through my husband?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Paul, MN

I am on H1B and so is my boy friend. We are getting married this week. He will be filing Greencard soon. How long does it take to get work permit. Is it possible for me to change job right away, after receiving work permit, or not at all?

1. Gen Kimura

6

Answered . It takes about 3 months once you filed your I-485/I-756. You should keep your H1B status as long as you can.

2. Nicklaus James Misiti

3

Answered . It takes a few months to get the EAD, when you have it you can work for anyone, however, if your adjustment application is denied for any reason it will be revoked and if you have already left your employer you may have issues with your H1B. Because marriage applications are complicated you should file with an attorney, my firm handles such cases.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

3. Ala M. Hamayel

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

4. Christian Schmidt

3

Answered . It takes about 90 days from the filing of your I-485 and I-765 to receive a work permit. You must wait until you received your employment authorization card before you can start working independtly from your current H-1B status.