Can I change status from f1 to j1 (research)?

Asked 6 months ago - Detroit, MI

is that considered immigrant intent? does it have high risks to be rejected?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . Absolutely. There is no immigrant intent issue since these are both nonimmigrant visas. Please see

2. David Norman Simmons

Best Answer

Answered . It's not the change of status that would be considered immigrant intent. The totality of your circumstances are taken into account. You would need to be prepared to show that you intend to return abroad at the end of your authorized status as a J-1. You will also need to be prepared to show that you have maintained a permanent residence abroad that you do not intend to abandon. How to do this is highly specific to your situation. I recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney who is familiar with the issue, and who can orient you.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

1

Answered . Yes, you can feel free to change your status.