Can I change status from f1 to j1 (research)?

Detroit, MI |

is that considered immigrant intent? does it have high risks to be rejected?

It's not the change of status that would be considered immigrant intent. The totality of your circumstances are taken into account. You would need to be prepared to show that you intend to return abroad at the end of your authorized status as a J-1. You will also need to be prepared to show that you have maintained a permanent residence abroad that you do not intend to abandon. How to do this is highly specific to your situation. I recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney who is familiar with the issue, and who can orient you.

My response to your question is general in nature, as I don't know all of the facts of your case. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. In addition, my answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Absolutely. There is no immigrant intent issue since these are both nonimmigrant visas. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Yes, you can feel free to change your status.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.