Can I change my visa status before I finish my year as an au pair?

Asked about 4 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am an au pair, I am suposed to be working for my host family till june 2011 but I would like to change my visa status from j1 to f1 as soon as possible and stop working for them. I want to know if that will be possible.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Andrea W. Kelly

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If you are able to get an approved I20 from a quaifying institution of higher education, you can file application to change status at any time. One concern is whether your J-1 visa had a requirement that you return to your home country. It would be a good idea to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about this issue before filing any paperwork with USCIS. Let me know if I can help.

  2. Nikiki Tavia Bogle

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Yes, you can do so. However, you should hire an immigration lawyer to help you file the change of status petition.

    For more detailed information, you may contact an experienced immigration lawyer at Bogle & Chang law firm to confidentially discuss the case and how we can help. We handle immigration cases in all 50 states. Our law firm information is provided below.

    Good luck to you.

    Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq
    Immigration Legal Team
    Bogle & Chang, LLC
    Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101
    National Immigration Lawyers
    We handle immigration cases in all 50 states and foreign countries worldwide.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,128 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,128 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering