Can I change my SSN and be free of debt owed by my SSN that I have now?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hugo, OK

I'm trying to get out of debt but right now it is impossible. That's why I was considering changing my Social Security Number and start over. Is that possible?

1. Gregory Howard Wiley

7

3

Answered . In a word, no. Your SSN, does not owe the money; you do.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

7

Answered . What you are proposing is a criminal offense. If you have too much debt, you can eliminate it legally with bankruptcy.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. L. Maxwell Taylor

6

Answered . It's not your Social Security number that owes the debt; it's YOU. Changing your SSN will not change that essential fact.

People who are unable to pay their debts as they come due may be able to apply for relief under the Bankruptcy Code. A discharge in bankruptcy relieves the debtor's legal obligation to repay most unsecured debts. Consult a bankruptcy lawyer for an in-person discussion about whether bankruptcy is appropriate for you.