Can I change my name while I'm on informal probation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pomona, CA

I got 2 more years of informal probation but really want to change my name. I want to change it because I have a foreign name and everyone has trouble pronouncing it. Its effecting my social life really badly. I'm not doing this so I could hide my records I just really want to change it.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You will likely encounter some obstacles, but it might still be possible. The main reasons why a judge would not agree to change your name are:

-- If the judge finds that you are changing your name to commit fraud,

-- If the judge finds that you are changing your name to hide from the law or the police or for some other illegal reason.

-- If you are on probation or parole, the judge may not agree to change your name, unless your probation or parole officer is aware of your change of name and gives written consent. (If you are incarcerated, the Director of Corrections has to give permission to the court to let you change your name.)

2. Hillary Johns

Answered . Are you a U.S. citizen? What are the requirements of your probation? Notify the court of your name change and ask.