Skip to main content

Can I change my F-1 Status to B-1/B-2 after graduating college?

Morgantown, WV |

- I am currently here on an expired F-1 Student visa and an up-to-date I-20 until the end of December 2013 (my I-20, or student status is what is keeping me legally in the US)

-I have already applied for an extension of stay for my student status (it was going to end in August and the stay was extended to December, as seen on my I-20)

- I plan to apply to graduate schools in early November. My purpose of staying two months after on a B-1/B-2 visa would be to hear from prospective schools when I submit GMAT scores and apply. Packing, leaving and coming back only to unpack again would be costly.

- I would not need a job while here as I can provide proof of financial support.

-My B-1/B-2 visa doesn't expire until 2017 if that helps any.

-Thank you for taking the time to read!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. What did your foreign student adviser have to say?

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Highly unlikely.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You might consider talking to your DSO and seeing if you're eligible for post-completion optional practical training when you graduate in December. That could extend your F-1 status up until such time as you are ready to start grad school. At that point, you could apply for a change of academic program and/or a transfer and get your I-20 extended again to attend graduate school. So you just stay in F-1 status the whole time and don't change to B-1/B-2 status. You would have to find a job or internship and work during the period between your graduation and your start of grad school. But if what you're trying to do is to bridge the gap between the two events so you don't have to leave, this might be simpler. One problem with your proposal is that it will not be that easy for you to change status from B-1/B-2 back to F-1 when it's time for you to start grad school. You won't be able to start grad school until the change of status is actually approved and changes of status can take forever.

    I would discuss your issues with both your DSO and a good immigration lawyer.

    Christina Murdoch
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison St., Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    (312) 444-1950 (fax)
    "Like" us on Facebook:
    Follow us on Twitter:

    Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features. (personal profile)

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics