Can I change my chapter 13 attorney?

Gurnee, IL |

Our attorney does not have our success in the program as a priority and we would like to change attorneys. Is that possible?

1. If you retain an attorney to represent you in any legal matter, you always retain the right to discharge the attorney and retain substitute counsel. However, the fee agreement that you signed may have certain provisions regarding payment of fees and costs that are important to consider in making this decision. You should review your fee agreement carefully to determine what obligation you may have to pay any fees or costs incurred in the event your attorney is discharged.

2. Yes, you always have the right to fire your attorney. However, Mr. Thomas is correct, you would have to look carefully at your fee agreement to see what the financial costs of doing so would be.

3. You may wish to discuss your matter with representatives from your local bar association. They regularly deal with client complaints and may assist you in either dealing with your current attorney or finding a new one.