Can I change my address after filing for I-485?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bethlehem, PA

Hi Experts,
I am in the process of filing for I-485(change of status). I might be moving to a different address after a month after the I-485 filing.

Now my question is

(1) Can i change the address once I file for I-485? (I heard one of my friend saying do not move once you apply till you get the process completed.Not sure whether this is genuine information)

(2) For changing the address what is the process that I need to follow?

(3) Will there be any impact on the I-485 filing because of the address change?

Thanks for all the valuable responses.

Venkat

1. Farzana Qaizar Hassonjee

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, you should file form AR-11 available on www.uscis.gov. You do not say if this I-485 is family based or employment based. If it is based on a marriage-based application, please be aware that if you move to another district then the file may have to be transferred there and that may delay the adjudication process.

Legal disclaimer: The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Christian Schmidt

Answered . An address change ist not a problem. You must file Form AR-11. File online through www.uscis.gov by providing receipt numbers for your applications.

3. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

Answered . if you move out of the district then the file will get transferred. gee aos happens so fast cant you wait a little longer? if you are staying with in the district not a problem. if you are separating from a spouse there might a problem.

4. William D. Fong

Answered . Yes, you can change your address, and you would then file the AR-11. Should not be a problem, but it if is a different district, you may consider waiting until you move to file.

5. Jeffrey N Lisnow

Answered . The other answers adequately answer your question.