Skip to main content

Can I change my - "incompatibility," "irreconcilable differences," or "irremediable breakdown of the marriage" -- to FAULT?

Sebring, FL |

can I change my - "incompatibility," "irreconcilable differences," or "irremediable breakdown of the marriage" -- to FAULT DIVORCE -- after finding out that my x stated she had an affair during the marriage during deposition which was yesterday

my lawyer pisses me off bc I dont think he is telling me everything he knows - but he did say at this point it is all about the money and the court does not care about the rest of it. He says there is a chart they go by and that is that. - but the money that the chart reflects makes it totally impossible for me to pay my car insurance - rent - utilities - gas for my car - and food -- yet my x will end up receiving 1.5 x - 2 x the amount that I earn and she is only required to work 30 hrs a week to my full time status plus she gets to go to school for free - and food stamps and her tax returns are 10X that of mine --- how is this justice? how is this fair?

Attorney Answers 1


No. No fault divorce is not an option. It is the only way one obtains a "dissolution of marriage" in Florida. There is a limited purpose in which infidelity can be admitted into evidence having to do with division of property or alimony, but it is limited and, for the most part, judges don't want to hear about it anyway.

My question to you is that if your wife has given a deposition in this matter, then you have an attorney representing you. Have you asked this question of your attorney? What does he/she say?

The foregoing is offered for informational purposes only and is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

If you found the above helpful in answering your question, kindly check the thumbs-up box below.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics