Skip to main content

Can I change legal separation paperwork once it is filed?

Gilbert, AZ |

My husband agrees with almost all of the legal separation paperwork except one or two things. We have now come to an agreement and I was wondering if I can change it or if he has to file back with the changes?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. If you have not filed the Default paperwork yet, you can file an amended Petition for Legal Separation. He will need to be served again with the Amended Petition; this can be by him signing an Acceptance of Service, or, because it is an Amended Petition, he can be served by regular mail.

    If he files a Response, your case become contested and it then follows a different path.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

    Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics