Can i change jobs within the same employer, when GC processing is going on

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

Hi,

I am on L1A and my company is starting my GC process. I was looking around for a internal job transfer within the same employer. Basically move between departments for a similar kind of role.

Is this possible and would it affect my GC process, either starting or even if i-140 is being processed?

You can change jobs as long as you remain an executive or manager. You employer should, however, notify USCIS of the job change.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Hi, I am working as an assistant professor in sciences at a two yr college system. A position at a different campus opened up because of the person there leaving the job. The job was offered first for internal transfer to assistant professors within the system as per rules. Since no one else already in the system was interested in moving to the campus I interviewed with the selection committee and was selected for transfer to the campus. I am a little concerned if this could affect my GC process or H1B extension, since the there was no open call for all outside US workers to interview for the position. I would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks.

Ashkan Emami

Ashkan Emami

Good answer

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Carl, do not worry. I am done. You can take your position as a leader of the pack.

I agree with my colleague. As long as you remain at the Executive or Managerial level within the same employer organization you may change job positions. Have yoru employer notify CIS of the change. Good luck

Debbi Klopman, ESq.
398 Bergen Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217
www.debbiklopmanlawoffice.com
dkny430@aol.com
718 622 1208
This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship

Debbi Klopman, ESq. 398 Bergen Street Brooklyn, NY 11217 www.debbiklopmanlawoffice.com dkny430@aol.com 718 622 1208 This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship