Can I change deferral to contest?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellevue, WA

I have got a speeding ticket(70+ & $110), I did go to court for mitigation and choose to take deferral. I have not paid the deferral amount yet.

Now I feel I want to save my deferral for bigger cause. Can some one help me by telling what is next best step. Can I change deferral to contest now? if yes , I have already gone for mitigation will accept for contest option now?.


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Vitaliy Kertchen


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You likely cannot change your mind now. When you choose a mitigation hearing and choose to go forward with the hearing, you've admitted that you committed the infraction. If you go in and ask that your deferral be revoked, the judge will probably just find you committed.

  2. James D. Laukkonen


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The only way to know for certain would be for you to contact the court and ask permission, but I doubt that the judge will allow you to change your mind at this point.

  3. Michael E Harbeson


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Its probably too late to go back to court and tell the Judge that you changed your mind about the deferred finding. However, you may be able to file what is called a "Good Cause" motion. This tells the Judge of some good reasons why to vacate the deferred finding and set a contested hearing. I believe you would have a better chance of success with such a motion if you hired an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,709 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,709 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering