Can I change a month to month rental agreement to require only cash payments and no dangerous dogs?

Bellingham, WA |

I have a bad tenant who bounces checks and replaces them later, effectively giving me rent 20 days late. The lease calls for a penalty, but she does not pay it. Her dog kills chickens and bites people. She had a one year lease, but is now month to month. I don't want to evict her until better weather, to avoid a vacancy now when it will be difficult to fill, but don't want to put up with the bounced checks and her dog. Can I give 20 days' notice to change the terms?

You have to give 30 day's notice to change terms, and the 30 days has to coincide with the day rent is due. So you could give notice December 1 to be effective December 31. It has to be in writing.

If you know that this dog is killing chickens and biting people, have you advised Animal Control? They have a strict protocol for dealing with dangerous dogs.

Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

Thanks so much for your answer. Yes, I contacted them, and they said I had to have witnesses fill out incident reports for the bites and chickens, and then they can call it a dangerous dog, but they can't do anything else after the fact. They said if it was within 10 days of a bite that drew blood, they would quarantine the dog, but then would return it to the owner after the 10 days. So I was told my only recourse would be to prohibit dangerous dogs in the contract, and then have it declared a dangerous dog. I am in the process of collecting witness statements to have it declared dangerous. The property is in the county, so I am dealing with the county animal control.

I agree with Ms. Powell and the lack f control of her dog maybe be a liability for you and take all steps necessary to protect yourself and hopefully your lease has a nusiance provision and you can give her notice to cure the problem or end the lease.
Good Luck

Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Thank you! Yes, my contract does have a nuisance provision...

Having a vacant house sometimes is better than having a bad tenant, especially one that is not paying rent on time and has a dog that "kills chickens and bites people". One or more of the victims may sue and name you as a defendant.

Sure, if you go through the statutory steps, you can require the tenant to pay by cash or cash-equivalent and get rid of her dog. However, she may just move out. If you accept payment in cash, you will need to give the tenant a receipt for the cash.

Thank you. I agree. However, it's difficult to make the mortgage without that rent, so I'm trying to hold out until after the holidays, so I can fill the vacancy sooner. I have given her notice repeatedly that her dog cannot be outside her yard without being on a leash, she just ignores it, so I'm trying to take a different route. I appreciate your assistance.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant