Can I challenge the jurisdiction at pretrial conference?

I just found out that this case should be heard in Probate court instead of Superior court. We have pretrial conference in two days and the trial in one week. How can I challenge the jurisdiction?

La Mesa, CA -

Attorney Answers (1)

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

The normal procedure is to file a motion with supporting declaration to transfer a case from a court lacking subject matter jurisdiction to a court having such jurisdiction pursuant to Code Civ. Proc. ยง 396.

While subject matter jurisdiction is never waived, you are probably too late to do anything if the trial is in one week. Moreover, in California, the superior courts are general jurisdiction courts. Probate court is also a court of general jurisdiction.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice.... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.