Can I challenge the jurisdiction at pretrial conference?

Asked over 2 years ago - La Mesa, CA

I just found out that this case should be heard in Probate court instead of Superior court. We have pretrial conference in two days and the trial in one week. How can I challenge the jurisdiction?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

1

Answered . The normal procedure is to file a motion with supporting declaration to transfer a case from a court lacking subject matter jurisdiction to a court having such jurisdiction pursuant to Code Civ. Proc. ยง 396.

While subject matter jurisdiction is never waived, you are probably too late to do anything if the trial is in one week. Moreover, in California, the superior courts are general jurisdiction courts. Probate court is also a court of general jurisdiction.