Can I challenge a recent bankruptcy on my credit report?

Chicago, IL |

I had the meeting with the creditors in April. June 17, was the deadline for disputes ( I believe). I am starting the process of rebuilding my credit. A free online company is helping me with advice. The company sent me info about a credit card and I was approved. The company is now referring me to another online company that claims to help individuals remove bankruptcies from their credit report. The new company claims to contact reporting bureaus and creditors, to remove the bankruptcy if the information is not entirely accurate. Is this possible? The company is expensive. I do not want to fork over money and find out that they can not help me. I'm not interested in anymore credit cards (1 is enough). I am interested in other ways to rebuild my credit.

No. It is a scam.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

2. Sure, you can challenge anything on your credit report. It'll do not good for accurate information such as recent bankruptcies. You basically signed up to be scammed. You can bet your personal information has been sold many times over and you'll likely be a target for month or years to come.

3. If it sounds to good to be true, it virtually always is. You can challenge anything, including your bankruptcy, but it will not be deleted if its reported accurately.

Attorney Brendan Ross is a real estate lawyer in downtown Chicago. Any answer provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice or a complete discussion of the legal issues. This answer does not form an attorney-client relationship. Each individual's situation is different, and you should seek independent legal advice from an attorney familiar with the laws of your state.

4. Without knowing more about this company, I can only guess what their game is. However, no matter how hard they try, and even if they succeed in getting it off of your credit reports, there is no way in the world they are going to delete your bankruptcy case from the federal court records.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.