Can I cant a misdemeanor expunged or nondisclosed

Asked about 5 years ago - Chesterfield, VA

I was charged in 1998 with petty larceny...I have been working in hospitals for the last 5 years and have had my criminal record pulled for each hospital and school and until recently it has never shown on my record. I recently applied to a hospital was offered the job and accepted. I recieved a call yesterday that there was a problem on my background check and this came up. I was told that in order to keep the job I would have to get this taken care of. Is there a way to expunge a record even though i was found guilty but have had no other charges besides speeding tickets ever. I had also read something about possibly getting it nondisclosed. how would i go about doing either of these and is it possible

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . In most states there is a way to do that. In some the probation office will do it for you if you were ever on probation. You need to contact a lawyer to have your record cleaned up.

2. Michael E Hendrickson

Answered . It is possible to have a one time record of conviction for a misdemeanor offense such as petty larceny expunged in the Commonwealth under Va. Code Sec. 19.2-392.2(F) if the Commonwealth cannot show "just cause" for opposing it.

M.E. Hendrickson, Esq.
    Alexandria, virginia 22314