Can i call my attorney an tell him i no longer need him?

Asked over 1 year ago - Toledo, OH

I seen a laywer yesterday because i was in a automobile accident and i acted to quickly an signed paperwork releasing medical files and intitling him to 33% but i no lomger want a attorney i want to handle it by myself

1. Michael R Crosner

5

Best Answer

Answered . Yes - However, I suggest you immediately schedule a face to face meeting with the attorney to discuss you plans & any concerns. It is a bad idea to handle a personal injury claim with the assistance of counsel - you will be at the mercy of claims adjusters & this is NOT a good place to be.

2. Deborah Zaccaro Hoffman

4

Answered . Yes.

For informational purposes only; not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice or a legal opinion.
  3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

1

Answered . Certainly you can discharge your attorney. You will owe him for any costs that he has expended on your behalf at the time you discharge him and he may also be entitled to some compensation for time he may have spent meeting with you, preparing the case file and sending out letters etc.

Why do you feel you do not need an attorney? If you needed brain surgery, would you do it at home yourself in your kitchen, with a mirror and a steak knife or would you hire a brain surgeon? The same applies to a legal case.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

4

Answered . Sure; you may discharge the lawyer. Just remember, the person who has him/herself as a client usually has a fool for a client. Don't meant to offend.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

2

Answered . You can, but it is probably a very bad idea. You will likely never get near fair value for your claim without an attorney.

6. Mark Eugene Barbour

Pro

Answered . Yes, but you should do it by letter if not in person. You are netitled to your file. You may be responsible for some fees and expenses.