Can I call animal control on my roommate's dogs?

Indianapolis, IN |

My roommate brought my cat home with her over break and her dogs killed it. Am I able to call animal control on them, and what would happen if I did?

1. Of course you can call animal control, any one call them for any reason. If the question is will they do anything, that is up to them.

None of the above information is intended to constitute legal advice; rather it is intended to give the consumer sufficient information to determine whether or not they should consult an attorney regarding their legal matter.

2. Yes, you can call Animal Control. They take incidents of dog violence very seriously. You should report the dogs for this incident and every other time you witness violent behavior (not just killing, but charging in a menacing way etc.), you can also call for barking complaints. They open a file, and with each complaint, the file gets stronger, then they start a warning and fining process, if things are not remedied, they will confiscate the animals. This might happen quicker in your case since they already killed a cat.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

3. Yes. Animal control is interested any time an animal kills another. If they have a record of doing this, AC can declare them to be "vicious".

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.