Can I buy the right to a name (of a car club)?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winchester, CA

Curious if it is possible and if so, how to get started on such.

(ok, thanks for moving but I did not put the question where it ended up; Awo did that on its own as it asked me car related categories that had nothing to do with my question and I choose none of the above. Thanks for moving it though and thanks for the help!)

1. Michael Charles Doland

7

Answered . I have changed your "practice area" from "civil rights" to "trademark application".

A trademark cannot be sold without the associated goodwill of the business. This prohibition against "naked transfers" is an important aspect of trademark law.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

6

Answered . You need to see a trademark attorney or business attorney. This can be structured many ways. For example: outright purchase of the club; purchase with grant back license; license without purchase. Focus on your real objectives and let the lawyer help you get there legally, if possible.

3. Robert Scott Lawrence

4

Answered . Yes, you can, assuming the owner is willing to sell it to you. If the name is registered as a trademark, you can buy it outright and record a trademark assignment at the Patent and Trademark Office. The process is relatively simple, and there are standard forms that recite that the sale includes all the goodwill associated with the mark and other rights appurtenant in whatever category the mark is registered.

4. David Wade Barman

5

Answered . If the name is being used, you cannot buy the name alone. If the owner of the name has stopped or will stop using it, then it is possible.

here is a good article on the topic

https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal0...

5. G. Todd Winter

3

Answered . My colleagues have sorted you out quite well. I would add that in my opinion the simplest structure, which will also help you avoid any potential liabilities, is likely a simple asset purchase agreement, naming the specific assets your are acquiring along with the associated goodwill. Then, as stated by the others, an assignment would need to be conducted through the USPTO, and your done.

6. Malosack Berjis

2

Answered . I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "General Practice," since the contents of your post do not involve a civil rights issue.