Can I buy dental practice on h1b

Greenwich, CT |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I am dentist who is on h1b status and My employer has sponsored my green card application. My employer wants to sell his practice as soon as possible but because of my indian nationality avg waiting period is 5-6 yrs. my employer dentist age is over 65 and don't want to wait another 5 years to hand over. Can I buy practice if my I-130 is approved?

You should speak with an experienced immigration attorney. This investment would be prudent before you purchase a business.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

This is somewhat of a grey area, but the general consensus is that you'd be in violation of your H-1B status. It is worth discussing this and the possibility of an E-2 with an immigration attorney experienced in business visas.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Probably not on H-1B but you should meet with an immigration attorney familiar with investment visas. E-2 does not work for you because India does not have an E-2 treaty. But EB-5 might work if certain conditions are met. Choose your attorney wisely, this is a higher level of sophistication than the regular employment-based visas.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Recommended articles about Immigration