Can I buy a house while going through a divorce in San Jose, CA

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I am the petitioner and I filed for divorce on June 1st, 2012, the respondent lives 4 hours away and has already informed me they will not show up to any CMC (they did not show up in September at the first CMC). We have filed for an uncontested divorce and have an agreement outside of court and I alone have already filed FL-140, 141, 150, 160 and FL-144 Stipulation and Waiver of Final Declaration of Disclosure on 1/29/13. Now I set another CMC for trial (not really sure why another one is needed, possibly to get final judgement) and I was prequalified yesterday for a loan and would like to know if it is ok to buy a house with someone else. We have no assets to divide or bank accounts or money.

1. John Noah Kitta

Pro

1

1

Answered . In terms of a pure legal analysis, there is no legal prohibition against you buying a house while you are in the middle of a divorce. The problem you have is that the lender will not fund without your current spouse executing an Inter-Spousal Transfer Deed to you in regard to this transaction. Perhaps, your ex will sign a Dissolution and Marriage Settlement Agreement resolving any and all issues as between you and her. Otherwise, there is no easy way to get around the lender issues I've described above. There are ways you could perhaps end around the transaction, but you still will be subject to a scrutiny by the court concerning the origin of the funds you used to adquire your interest in the subject property...probably a can of worms. Why don't you first see if you ex will cooperate.

I hope this is helpful

John N. Kitta
    Fremont

2. David Alexander Yomtov

Pro

1

Answered . There is no law prohibiting your buying a house without your soon-to-be-ex spouse. But you will need their cooperation. You will likely need to have them sign a Quit Claim Deed, waiving any interest in the new house, before escrow will close.

3. John Naumovski

Pro

Answered . I agree with the above attorneys' advice