Can i buy a house in my name if i get ssi benefit?

Asked over 3 years ago - Howard Beach, NY

i get ssi benefit since 2003. i want to buy a bank owned house in my name, u know foreclosure houses. now my question is : people who get ssd, ssi, can they buy a house in their name? i get only 300 dollars ssd+ssi. they reduced the money. i used to get 750 dollars.
the reason they told me about reducing my benefit, they already knew that from the beginning. and i send them those paperworks before and i have proof. after all those years their system got that information, that's what they told me.
anyway let me know what i should do about ssd beneft & what to do about buying a house please.
thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . SSI is welfare disability. Social Security is not welfare. SSI will disqualify you if you have cash in excess of $2,000.00 or own property you do not live on. However, a house you live in is exempt. You may want to check with legal aid in your area to make sure there are no local differences.

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,091 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,091 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary