Can I buy a house if I am an undocumented foreigner now?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I entered the country legally but had overstayed since I was out of status. I don't have a SSN. Now my family wants to buy a house in the States for investment also for me to live. Supposedly it will be paid in cash. I am wondering if the house can be on my name? Will it cause me some tax problems? Or it's better they buy it under their names? (They aren't American, nor do they live in the States.) What documents are needed to purchase real estate as a foreigner?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Husna F. Alikhan

    Contributor Level 14
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Consult with a local real etate attorney. However, you may want to consider what will happen to your property if you are deported? If you do intend to hold title, you should have a power of attorney in place with someone who does have legal status in the United States, to step in and have the ability to undertake financial transactions related to the property; if you were to be deported.

    Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your... more
  2. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . With a cash payment, you should be able to buy and hold the property in your own name. Work with a local real estate attorney, I do not believe your immigration status will even factor into this.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr.... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague that you should contact a real estate attorney. Immigration status should not be a factor in an all cash purchase.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,602 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,602 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering