Can I buy a gun in Texas with an Class A Misdemeanor Assault with Bodily Injury?

Fort Worth, TX |

I have been researching the purchase of a gun for home protection in the State of Texas. I know that felons cannot possess arms, nor someone convicted of domestic assault/violence charges. I was convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor Assault with Bodily Injury (Not Domestic) with a max sentence of (1) year that was probated at (1) year. I successfully completed the probationary period and am curious if I am now eligible for the purchase of a firearm.

Also, a second question... My spouse owns a firearm; am I allowed to use her weapon in "the hopefully not needed" event of a break in (Castle Doctrine)?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!

1. I'm not sure about TX, however, 18 USC section 922, prohibits those convicted of certain domestic violence offenses and offenses carrying punishment in excess of 1 year with possessing a firearm. The Brady Act and Lautenburg Act will provide a federal restriction.

There is no attorney client relationship created by this email. This response is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice upon which one should rely for the purposes of litigation, establishing a course of conduct, or representation.