Can I buy a Condo/Towne Home and Rent it being on H1B Visa ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I want to buy a foreclosed condo and rent it. Is this permitted on H1B Visa ?

1. Irene Arfaras Steffas

3

Best Answer

Answered . Purchasing a cond and using it as rental property is equivalent to buying stock and waiting for dividens. Such a purchase is not in violation of your H-1B.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . I would say yes, since investing in U.S. real estate property is not an considered an activity "inconsistent" with your H-1B Professional Worker status, provided you continue to maintain valid H-1B status.

3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

3

Answered . The challenge with any investment is that there are risks. If you lose your H1b position and must leave the U. S., then the investment may prove questionable.

In addition, foreigners often don't qualify for mortgages unless they are lawful permanent residents or naturalized U. S. Citizens.

A false representation on a mortgage form that you are either may indefinitely affect your right to a greencard or visa. It will be important that you carefully read all forms. Perhaps, this may not be such a good idea unless you can pay the entire purchase price.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.