Can I buy a car and get driving license while my asylum application is pending?

Asked 10 months ago - Granville, NY

I have a-number, and received Work Authorization Card (Work Permit).

1. Boris Alexander Palant

2

Answered . You will be able to apply for EAD 150 days after your application was filed and is pending. On the basis of EAD you'll be able to get a SS#. The EAD card, SS# and your passport should be enough to get a driver's license. Buying a car is never a problem. Hope you have a good attorney.

2. Mikel Edward Lupisella

1

Answered . Please be aware that during the government shutdown, SSA is not issuing new or replacement SS cards. Obviously, do not wait to start the other paperwork that was suggested by Mr. Palant, but just be aware that your wait for a SS card may be longer than normal because of the shutdown.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . You can try with your EAD. If denied, as my colleagues suggest .. you can get a SS#, after the US government re-opens for business.