Can I buy a car and get driving license while my asylum application is pending?

Asked 10 months ago - Granville, NY

I have a-number, and received Work Authorization Card (Work Permit).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Boris Alexander Palant

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will be able to apply for EAD 150 days after your application was filed and is pending. On the basis of EAD you'll be able to get a SS#. The EAD card, SS# and your passport should be enough to get a driver's license. Buying a car is never a problem. Hope you have a good attorney.

  2. Mikel Edward Lupisella

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Please be aware that during the government shutdown, SSA is not issuing new or replacement SS cards. Obviously, do not wait to start the other paperwork that was suggested by Mr. Palant, but just be aware that your wait for a SS card may be longer than normal because of the shutdown.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can try with your EAD. If denied, as my colleagues suggest .. you can get a SS#, after the US government re-opens for business.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,418 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,418 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering