Can i build a website and market my page with all the ideas and lessons i learned at a trading academy?

Clifton, NJ |

Do i need a lawyer to protect me in any scenario? I want to build a lesson by lesson website that train novice traders how to become professionals. Identifying Supply & Demand levels and controlling human emotions. As well as having trades posted and examples of previous trades made either winner or losers because in these markets noone is perfect. Im concern if i need a lawyer to protect me like that "its your risk to trade, this is just educaitonal" etc. I eventually want to charge people a membership fee.

1. Yes, you can.

Are You Planning on Opening a New E-Commerce Website?

There is much you need to know as you begin your new business. I suggest you do not attempt to write your own legal policies. This is not where your training and background lie, and though you are probably as smart as an attorney, you do not have their experience.

Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

1. Business Model – Is your idea viable as a web based business?

2. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, a sub-S, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?

3. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.

4. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!

5. FTC guidelines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidelines apply to e-commerce sites.

6. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?

7. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?

8. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using?

9. Do you need a DMCA policy?

10. Web Site security issues?

11. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.

12. Do you need an arbitration clause?

13. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.

14. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

15. Are you abiding by the Child's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)rules?

When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

2. I think there is much that needs to be thought through here before you jump in. In addition to the threshold concerns my colleague noted below, I would also want to explore any compliance required as well as a strategy that limits your liability moving forward.

I think you should reach out to several lawyers for a free phone consultation and get some specific insights this way you can better evaluate who you feel comfortable working with as there are a number of things to accomplish here once all the specifics need are fleshed out and well understood.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed with the law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC on the basis of this posting.

3. Rather than annoying my colleagues with boilerplate over and over ad nauseum in answers, I prefer to make a legal guideline on starting a website and link you to it here:
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/checklist-for-starting-a-website

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Civil rights topics