Can I bring my spouse to a child custody hearing with the mother of my child?

Asked 11 months ago - Milwaukee, WI

Are spouses allowed to be in the mediation?

1. Jeffrey W. Jensen

Pro

2

Answered . Your spouse may attend a child custody hearing because the hearings take place in a courtroom that is open to the public. If this is likely cause problems with the mother of your child, I would advise you not to do it. You and the mother are litigating an issue that exists between the two of you. It does not help settlement discussions to have your new spouse present for the purpose of irritating the mother. Regarding mediation, the mediator is very unlikely to allow your new wife to participate.

2. William Emil Cassara

Pro

1

Answered . Can you? Yes. Should you? That is a question you should ask your lawyer. If you don't have one, consider what was already said. Is it going to facilitate mediation or hinder it?