Skip to main content

Can I bring my sick parents to US as a US citizen?

Glendale, CA |
Filed under: Green cards

I am a US citizen by naturalization, 37 year old, working full time. My parents live back in my country. They are old - 62and 72, and now my mom is sick, my mom in worst condition,in bed, not walking, not able to take care of herself. For years I've been thinking of that moment, and anticipated coming I asked them so many times before to move in with me, so I can take care of them. Now, when they really need me I am afraid they wont be approved for green cards with her medical condition. The other way is to sell my condo/car(or give back to the banks), quit my job, and go back to my country, to help them, But with no job there I am not sure I can help either. Do you know if there is any way to solve my problem. Thank you in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


They probably will be able to immigrate. Medical conditions are only a basis to deny admission in permanent resident status if a person has a communicable disease or some disorder that has posed a threat to themselves, others, or property. The other issue raised is whether your parents are a likely public charge. As a petitioning relative, you are required to file an affidavit of support to show that you could support them at 125% of the poverty level. If there are unusually high medical costs, you might need to prove that you could provide for those. For example, you might need to prove that you could afford to by medical insurance for them.


Mr. Crabtree's answer is concise and on-point.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If you're seeking to bring them to the U.S. for the remainder of their days, the process is very straightforward and you should be able to get them here within a year. The issue of the medical condition is two fold. If it falls under a disease of public significance, then you'll need a waiver for it. If it requires significant assets for the medical treatment, you'll simply have to show that they can obtain appropriate insurance.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer